[Review] Tarte Shape Tape Matte Foundation in Light Sand

11:51 AM

So I finally got my hands on the most talked about foundation this year. Unfortunately for Tarte, not for good reasons. The lack of shades for women of color definitely spun a lot of heat for this foundation. Tarte issued an apology and added darker shades to the line afterwards. Hopefully, other brands will learn from this slip.

Truth be told, I don't need another foundation but I adore my Tarte Shape Tape concealer so much that nonetheless, I decided to give this foundation a swing. I live in a humid and tropical country, so I opted for the Matte formula. Choosing the shade online can quite end up in a hiccup so I just settled with Light Sand which is also the shade that I wear with the Tarte Shape Tape concealer.



Description from Tarte: "A vegan & oil-free full coverage foundation that feels weightless on skin, with a modern matte finish. Provides the same full coverage as its concealing predecessor – it smooths over pores & imperfections with rich, airbrushed full coverage that dries to a flawless matte finish using a unique, concealer-inspired wand. The formula absorbs oil & shine while leaving skin creaseless, hydrated, free of flakiness or cakiness & helping to improve skin health with every application."



Clearly, the packaging is inspired by the Tarte Shape Tape Concealer with its doe foot applicator. Despite being not the most sanitary option, I quite like it. I like the convenience of just pulling the wand out, and swiping the product all over my (clean) face. 

Swatches:




I can get away with just going once, but if I feel I need more coverage I do one more layer. The coverage is medium to full coverage and the finish is absolutely matte. If you do not want to see even a glimpse of shine peeking through your skin, this is your foundation of dreams.

I wore it on my bare skin (no primer) and I found it a tad drying and it clung to my dry patches badly. For reference, I have combination-sensitive skin. 

So the next day, I decided to use my beloved Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer beforehand and the foundation performed way better. It made my skin look absolutely flawless and no dry patches at all. The finish was not altered at all though - it stayed really matte that I did not feel the need to set it with loose powder. The rest of my make up (blush, contour powder and highlight) applied smoothly too. Not patchy at all.

My bare face!



With Tarte Shape Tape Matte Foundation on!



Foundation blended using a damp beautyblender!



And the rest of my make up on!

(Mac eyebrow pencil in Brunette, Tarte Toasted eye shadow palette, Heroine Make Long & Curl mascara, Tarte shape tape concealer in Light Sand, Tarte blush in Fortunate, Tarte highlighter in Worthy, Pat McGrath MatteTrance lipstick in OMI)

Despite the scorching heat, this foundation wore beautifully on my skin. I strolled around the BGC High Street yesterday noon for about 2-3 hours and my foundation still looked perfectly fine afterwards. It was very comfortable on the skin too. It did not feel mask-like in any way.

I also tried using it with my First Air Beauty Hello Fab Coconut Smoothie Priming Moisturizer (which is a very hydrating primer) and that made the finish of this foundation a bit dewy. So on days that you would like to sport a more glowy look, just use a hydrating primer or luminizing products.

Over all, I like this foundation but not my favorite. Perhaps because I also have the Marc Jacobs Re(marc)able foundation and despite the wonky applicator of that one, I like that a bit more because I get the same coverage with using less product.

Thoughts?

Kiss Kiss,
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for Blogger Related Posts Plugin for Blogger Related Posts Plugin for Blogger

0 comments

Related Posts Plugin for Blogger

Like My Facebook Page

Follow Me On Instagram (@becsandiego)